Ben’s Five Point Efficiency Plan
Making Salt Lake County Government
MORE EFFICIENT AND COST-EFFECTIVE
Government everywhere needs to become more efficient and make taxpayer dollars go further. Salt Lake County government is no exception. We must prioritize efficiency as a value, and be constantly vigilant when it comes to discovering efficiencies in Salt Lake County.
As Mayor of Salt Lake County, I pledge to be vigilant about not only finding these efficiencies, but ensuring they are implemented. I have a proven track record of finding innovative solutions, bringing people together, and getting things done.
My plan for cutting costs and creating a more efficient government fall into five categories that are discussed in greater detail below. These categories are:
- Look Inward. Conduct an internal comprehensive review of county government to identify efficiencies and economies of scale within and across agencies.
- Form New Partnerships. Reduce cross jurisdictional inefficiencies in service delivery by forging new partnerships with cities and unincorporated areas.
- Adopt ‘Smart Buyer’ Practices. Implement cost saving policies for county procurement and contract practices.
- Implement Smart Revenue Collection and Improved Compliance Efforts. Evaluate the cost-effectiveness of enforcement efforts with a goal of improved ordinance compliance, implement sound debt collection efforts and improve electronic and online interfaces.
- Fix the Leaks Below the Line Item. Involve county employees and the public to identify cost saving opportunities in day-to-day operations.
As Mayor, I will be a responsible steward of taxpayer dollars and ensure that every cent is used effectively and efficiently to deliver important services to our residents. Salt Lake County has made steps in the right direction under the leadership of County Mayor Peter Corroon. I will find responsible ways to balance our county budget, keep county government small and maximize efficient service delivery.
To view Ben’s plan as a document please click here.